Sore throat just like constipation is one of those common infections that I really dislike and have a lot of sympathy for those that are suffering from it.
It can be so painful, uncomfortable and annoying to live with even if it is just for some few days, those days can feel like a week and some of suffering.
Sore throat is usually as a result of an infection from a virus or bacteria. It is part of the grouped infections that affect the nose and throat known as the common cold this is why sore throat often happens in conjunction to flu or cough.
What is sore throat?
A sore throat is pain, irritation or itchiness of the throat and in its initial stages, it might just feel like discomfort in the nose or throat for some time before it is recognized as a sore throat.
This infection makes it difficult to swallowing any food or liquid and comes with a perpetual pain or discomfort that varies in intensity depending on the stage of the infection.
When your sore throat is persistent and is accompanied with a fever or a when your tonsils are swollen, blocking your throat. In such cases it might be best to see a doctor but before it gets bad.
Most of the time, home remedies are very effective for it and it can be cleared in as little as a day.
Most of the mentioned remedies in this article are also effective for catarrh (flu) and cough so if you have more than just sore throat, you get rid of the infection and all pains of cough and flu from your body and get well soon using these remedies .
Home Remedies for sorethroat
Ginger is used raw, in teas, foods or soups is very effective in fighting infections. It has an anti-inflammatory and soothing effect on the infected throat making it less painful while helping your body to get rid of the infection by supporting the immune system.
It is best to take the ginger in raw form or as an oil but other forms can also be effective though not as effective as raw ginger or ginger oil.
How to use:
- You can just chew about an inch of the raw ginger and let the juice from chewing stay at your throat without drinking or eating anything else for at-least 30 minutes.
- You can also grate, cut the raw ginger into smaller pieces or use the powder if that is all you have at the moment. Add it to hot water.
- Allow it to steep for about 8 minutes and take the warm tea.
- You can also add honey or lemon juice to the ginger tea for better taste and to make it more effective.
- Raw ginger is not the only option, pure ginger tea is also effective for sore throat. Use as indicated on the pack but without milk, sugar (just a little if you must) and other additives that can worsen your situation. Remember to take it warm also.
Orange juice is very effective for sore throat probably because of the vitamin C contained in the juice. Some might say just suck on some vitamin C tablet but it is not as effective as taking a cup-full of orange juice. This might be because orange juice is also rich in antioxidants, folate, potassium, etc.
How to take:
- Get some juicy and sweet oranges.
- Squeeze the orange juice either by hand or using a juicer.
- Drink 1-2 full cups of the orange juice and not more than that at once because it can also loosen your bowels.
- Do this not more than twice a day.
- If you prefer, you don’t have to squeeze them just cut up about 10 oranges at once and eat them like a meal. That should also work though juicing makes it easier to know the quantity you are taking.
Honey is an antibacterial, anti-viral and anti-microbial remedy. It is a well-known household remedy used for many things especially common cold.
Some studies have shown that honey is actually a better cough syrup, cough suppressant, wound healer. It is better than the popular lozenges from the pharmaceutical shops we suck on while we have a sore throat.
This is because while the lozenges simply numb the throat, honey actually heals the wound in the throat and fights the infection in the throat and the body simultaneously.
How to use:
- Get a good quality honey
- Take a tablespoon or two at once.
- Remember to take it slowly to properly coat the throat.
- Do not take any food or water for at least 30 minutes.
It is important to keep taking very warm but not hot enough to burn the throat. Just comfortably warm teas, water and other liquids.
If it is possible for you, only take warm foods, porridge, soups and liquids in this period of sore throat. As we know, warm liquids and water help fight and soothe infected places on the body.
How to use:
Whatever you are going to take, take it warm. Even from this list, it will be good if some of these remedies will be taken with warm water such as ginger, vitamin C, honey and even lemon in warm water.
Lemon is not included in this list because I have never used to know but some say it is effective.
Gargle with salt water
Salt as we know is an disinfectant of infections and because sore throat is an infection, it is very helpful and soothing to the throat when you gaggle with warm water.
This remedy is a very old one as I can remember myself gargling with salt and warm water when I was a child.
How to use:
- Dissolve salt in a cup of warm water.
- The water should be just warm enough not hot enough to burn and not lukewarm then it will not be effective
- Gaggle for about 5-10 minutes with this solution for about 2-3 times in a day and after every gaggle session your throat will feel soothed and not as itcy, painful or scratchy as before.
Vitamin C as we know is very important in supporting the activity of the immune system which fights infections and diseases in our body.
When we have an infection from the common cold, we are usually told by our family or doctor to take some vitamin C tablets to support our body in this fight against the infection.
It is a very effective remedy not just for infection but to strengthen our body immunity to diseases as those with a strong immunity hardly catch these kinds of minor infections.
How to take:
- Get a good quality vitamin c not those that are like 1 naira per tablet in Nigeria. Get those ones that dissolve in water or the tablets where you can easily see its amount or concentration of the vitamin c in the tablet per milligram
- Swallow them with water, suck on them or dissolve them in water depending on the directions on the vitamin C pack.
Guava leaves are used as remedies for many conditions such as diarrhea, infections, diabetes, stomach pains etc. They are rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, potassium etc. You can easily get these leaves from the neighbours compound in your area if you don’t have it at home.
How to use:
- Boil a handful of the leaves in about half a liter of water.
- Sieve the hot water and take it warm by sipping gradually (remember that).
- Divide it into two and take it about twice a day. That will be one handfuls of the guava leaves in a day.
Do this for about three days and I believe it should be gone by then or almost disappeared.
Black seed powder.
Scientific name: Nigella sativa
Nigerian name: Habbatus sauda
Black seed also known as black cumin, is known to support and strengthen the body just like vitamin C. I almost forgot this remedy that is very good for not just sore throat but general common cold and our immunity. When I start to feel sick but I am not sure what is wrong, I just take this herb for about three (3) days and I usually feel better by then.
How to use:
- Get a pure unadulterated powder of black seed powder
- Take a teaspoon of the powder about 1 hour after meals with water if you wish. Remember after meals because it is a very potent medicine that can make you sick harm you on an empty stomach. My sister once made that mistake.
- Take twice a day. in the morning and evening.
- If you are able to get the capsules of the seeds, use as indicated on the pack of the product
- Do not take it for more than 1 week.
Where to get it:
It is easily available in shops for natural products in the market, or the health section in the super market.
Sore throat can be easily treated at home without pharmaceutical drugs as some of the home remedies are actually more effective than those drugs so choose wisely.
When you are suffering from sore throat, it is important that you stay away from everything cold at least. Even if you will not stay in warm places and clothes. Avoid any cold or room temperature foods and drink, save them for when your throat has healed.
These are the remedies that I and those around me have used consistently with good results and fast action. I hope they work you for you too and you are very soon free from this infection.
They are all easily available in most places including Nigeria and of all of them, I will vouch for the quick effectiveness of the ginger, orange juice and back seed powder. They work really fast. If you have any questions or comments, write them below in the comment section and I will soon reply to you.
Please rate this article down below if you think it did you any good, helped you or if it didn’t help you. Let us know so that we can improve on our writing and delivery. I hope you had a good time here with us.
Thank you for stopping by and bye for now!