Toilet infection might sound funny but you can easily guess that you probably get it from the toilet or atleast that is what Nigerians believe. The toilet is not the only place where you can get this infection. The proper term for toilet infection is probably yeast infection and is more easily contracted by women than men.
Toilet infection is the Nigerian or the west African term for yeast infection as many believe that this illness is contracted form public toilets. but actually, toilet infection is also used by some to refer to a group of diseases that are found in private areas of a person. It is said to be very common amongst university students and women between 20-40 years of age. I am not sure how accurate that claim is though but it is a very real problem in Nigeria that affects people of all gender and ages.
Yeast infection is a more specific type of infection than toilet infection or toilet disease and is one of the most common conditions of the private areas that is experienced by the population. It is caused by a yeast-like fungus called candida or monila. This yeast-like fungus occurs naturally on moist skin and when there is an over growth of the fungus, it results into the condition of yeast infection. This overgrowth occurs when the body’s balance is thrown off by hormonal changes, diabetes, drugs, etc. It mostly develops in the mouth, throat, stomach and the private areas which are all moist and hidden areas of the body.
Yeast infection Vs Urinary tract Infection (UTI)
There is a difference between a yeast infection and a urinary tract infection (UTI). UTI is an infection of the lower urinary tract with the main symptom of pain while urinating, tenderness of the lower abdomen, back or sides and the frequent urge to urinate.
The main symptom of yeast infection in women is itching and burning of the private area, rashes, burning during urination and a thick discharge from the private area (sometimes it is even smelly). Men with yeast infection experience burning pain while urinating, itching and swelling and skin patches and rashes. There is a slight difference in the symptoms depending on the gender.
It is important to understand this difference in symptoms and behavior of the body depending on the infection. You can read more about distinguishing which is your infection here.
Update: I have written on an article on home remedies for UTIs. Read about it if you would like to know more here.
Most yeast infections are easily treated with over-the-counter medications in most cases and they clear up in a week or less. However, when a person has reoccurring yeast infections, it is time to really have a talk with a doctor for a more permanent solution as this can indicate a health problem that needs attention.
Yeast infection are usually treated with oral medication and topical medication which is creams and ointments applied to the infected area. However, sometimes it might not be suitable or desired by many to be taking antibiotics because of their harmful side effects on the body. The anti-fungal creams also tend make the fungus in the private area become resistant to it over time. This is especially true for those with reoccurring yeast infections. This is why the home remedies have become popular because they are safe and effective at almost no costs or risk. They include:
Yeah I know it sounded a little strange when I first heard of this too. There has been much written on the internet about the effectiveness of yoghurt for curing yeast infection. I only recently started to believe in the claims when I read journal papers confirming its effectiveness.
Yoghurt is effective for yeast infections because it contains helpful bacteria or a probiotic which lives in the stomach urinary tract and private areas naturally. This allows it to restore the balance that was thwarted which caused the overgrowth of the fungus in the first place.
How to use:
- Get yourself a healthy thick plain greek yoghurt that has no colour, sugar flavor or whatever additives that are usually added to yoghurt.
- Wash and clean the infected area thoroughly
- Using your fingers, apply to the area generously and make sure it covers all parts
- Leave for atleast 15 minutes before rinsing off the area and dry it well with a towel, tissue etc.
- Take 3 tablespoons of greek yoghurt three times a day about 30 minutes before your meal.
We are going to have to do both oral and physical application for fast action. Some insert the yoghurt inside but it is not necessary because when you eat the yoghurt it is already inside of you and an outer physical application completes the treatment. Cold yoghurt can also be used to soothe the sore and irritated areas.
Honey is a known anti-fungal, antimicrobial and antibacterial food and lucky us, it works for yeast infection as by proven some studies. The physical application of honey is enough and should be applied just like the yoghurt is applied 3 times a day for atleast 15 minutes each time. Don’t forget to use raw organic and unprocessed honey. In short, just use the best honey that you can find and it should work for you.
The best remedy that I know of is from this study that was quite popular and commonly cited in other publications. In the study, it tested for the use of honey and yoghurt mixture for yeast infection and it was successful. Below are the important point:
- Combine yoghurt and honey in the ratio of 3:1 respectively.
- Use this as a cream on your private area and slather about 2 tablespoons of the mixture for each application
- Take it orally also as a medicine using 2 table spoons twice a day.
Do this for about a week and I am positive that before the days are over, the yeast infection would have disappeared and your balance restored.
Discomfort is expected and will be experienced while dealing with yeast infection. To soothe itches, swelling and irritation, it is advised for patients to have a sitz bath which is sitting in a big bowl of warm water with only your lower body part being immersed in the water.
- Make a solution of baking soda and water by adding 5 tablespoon to one cup of baking soda to half a bucket of water. The concentration of the solution depends on you, the severity of your condition, if you have any allergic reaction etc.
- Mix it well into the water until it is properly dissolved and you cannot see the powder at the bottom anymore.
- Sit in the solution for about 20-30 minutes before getting up and rinsing the solution off your body. It is not recommended that you keep it on your skin after the bath.
- You can do this up to three times a day depending on your symptoms
If the baking soda irritates your skin, substitute the baking soda with apple cider vinegar or simple kitchen salt. It will work just as well as the baking soda.
Garlic most widely used for colds, cough and body immunity, it also has an anti-fungal property that stops the growth of the candida fungus. Garlic can be taken raw or in capsules. For raw garlic which I recommend more, cut not more than 2 pieces of medium sized garlic cloves and swallow them gradually throughout the day with water as tablets.
Some apply the raw garlic to the infected area but I will not really recommend this for garlic is very potent and it can burn you. The yoghurt-honey mixture is safer and proven to be effective. I checked but I have not found a good study for the garlic-to-skin application. So be safe and just take the raw garlic an hour before or after meals. It will go to your gut and downwards either way where the yeast grow.
While you are using these natural items for relief and cure, it is important to:
- wear loose and absorbent clothing and underwear like cotton to keep the area dry as I said earlier this fungus grows in moist places. If you can, don’t ware underwear at all for this period of infection.
- Practice good hygiene such as washing the area every day with warm water and a mild non scented soap.
- Wipe or clean with water from front to the back after using the toilet to prevent the bacteria of the anus from spreading to other areas.
To relive some symptoms, you can:
- Apply ice or water to the area in a safe manner,
- Avoid strong scented and unnecessary soaps and other products from touching the area while it is infected (no douching at all!)
- Stop taking sugar as much as possible as we know that sugar promotes the growth of yeast. Yeast infection can also be a sign that your blood sugar is too high
- Avoid hot baths and being sweaty especially in your private area.
- Avoid pharmaceutical antibiotics in the beginning because they kill the healthy bacteria and throws your body off balance which the main cause of yeast infection
While writing this article, I came across some pretty unsettling items and products that people are using or recommending which look bad at best and dangerous if we are being honest. Some of these include the use of hydrogen peroxide, Dettol to wash the area, athletes foots cream etc. I don’t really need to do much research for me to know that these are not safe to use on such a sensitive area of the body.
I hope you stay clear of these dubious recommendations. All the items listed as possible solutions have been proven to be effective and can be easily sourced no matter where you are in Nigeria or just around the world in general.
I will advice that you choose safe remedies for your infection for the sake of your health. Don’t worry too much about the yeast infection. Doctors expect yeast infection in mild cases to clear up within 3 days when the body balances itself naturally and then the infection is gone but in moderate to severe cases, it can take 1-2 weeks. I know the symptoms can be scary especially the pus but it is a very common problem faced by millions of people both male and female every year. So relax a little 🙂
I hope you enjoyed your time here and you got what you cam e here for. I wish you the best and do let me know which of the recommendations were the most effective in giving you relief and curing it for you for good. Just remember these recommendations are for both male and female yeast infection.
If you are interested in simple home remedies and herbs for your health problems, subscribe to the blog and I will notify you every time I upload a new article on this site. Leave a comment below if you just to say hi or let me know of your experience with yeast infection.
Thank you and have a nice day!